Blog :: Python Fundamentals Resources
30 May 2011
Deprecated: see the Python Fundamentals Page instead of this post
This will just be a grab bag of extra resources and notes for my students taking the Python Fundamentals Course at Marakana. Don't forget to grab the labs.
- Python in a Nutshell
- Dive into Python Online Book - somewhat dated but still good.
- The Official Python Tutorial
- Code like a Pythonista: read this and your code will be pythonic.
- Doug Hellman's Python Module of the Week - a great way to get to know Python's vast stdlib.
Important Basics You Should Know
Python builtin functions: see the http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html. Or
import __builtin__ dir(__builtin__)
Keywords: see the docs http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#keywords. Or
import keyword print(keyword.kwlist)
- IPython - a better python shell
- Python Regex Testing Tool
- virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper - tools for managing python environments. If you find yourself installing 3rd party python code you should be using these tools.
- Stuck on windows? Use a replacement console
Additional Documentation Referred to in Class
- Simple String Formatting
- Built In Exception Types
- Quick Doctest Overview - but I like to use
$ python -m doctest -v myfile.py
- Don't forget the first dunderscore hack you'll need:
if __name__ == '__main__': main()
- A great walkthrough of the stdlib logging module
- JSON in stdlib
- List of dunderscore methods
Don't forget the old labs - new labs and samples coming soon!
blog comments powered by Disqus